But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never failing stream. ~ Amos 5:24
Justice and only justice you shall follow, that you may live and inherit the land that the lord your God is giving you. ~ Deuteronomy 16:20
Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy. ~ Proverbs 31:9
When Earth was created, God entrusted us as its stewards. God calls us to care for it and each other in all our actions. When we make environmentally-wise choices we are celebrating and respecting creation, giving thanks for Earth’s abundant resources, and being good stewards with what we’re given.
Being good stewards also means supporting justice in our world’s institutions. As Jesus showed by example, we must become involved in raising our voices to the world beyond our church’s doors. The effects of climate change and environmental degradation impact socially and economically vulnerable people most. We can work powerfully together to ensure a safe and healthy world for all, in this generation and several generations to come.
Today I can:
– Find out who my elected leaders are locally and nationally and learn more about their voting history regarding climate and the environment. Write to them as a Christian, explaining my support of actions and laws that safeguard the environment and encourage sustainability.
– Volunteer with my church or a non-profit organization that works to secure and safeguard the earth, or one that develops natural areas for all to enjoy.
– Donate time and/or money to a worthy environmental protection nonprofit.
In the future, I plan to:
– Create or support a Creation Care group in my own church and understand my church’s stance on environmental justice and climate. [Or, join Gloria Dei’s Caring 4 Creation team.]
– Encourage and support church leadership in their outreach to influence just environmental policies.
– Work to ensure environmental protections and justice are incorporated into political candidates’ platforms, and into our national and state laws.
Source: Interfaith Creation Care of the South Metro is an organization of volunteers representing 15 faith communities in the South Metro. We collaborate to create content like this and to bring Creation-focused events and resources to all faith communities in the area.