This is my first Vacation Bible School at Gloria Dei and I have been reminded every day how blessed I am to be a part of this congregation.
People are always curious about the numbers so here is a snapshot of the numbers along with the impact that these groups have had on me and on the week of VBS:
• 36 Preschool children: The preschool students bring such a special enthusiasm to VBS. They were wonderful at using their imagination as they play games and learn stories.
• 98 Elementary children: Almost 100 children in grades K-6th grade participated in VBS this week and they brought the energy! By the end of the week they were singing their hearts out especially during our theme song “I’m Trusting You”!
• 15 Junior Leader children: I heard from multiple people how impressed they were with the 5th/6th grade leaders. They all jumped to help or be involved as much as possible. They worked hard in the kitchen to get the snack prepared. My favorite part was watching them on stage either leading the prayer, teaching the Bible Verse actions or singing songs.
• 39 Youth Volunteers: It is so fun to see the children look up to our amazing youth volunteers. What great role models they are to the participants. One morning at the games a preschooler was doing an obstacle course. Right on the side lines was a teenage boy cheering her name as she went through the course. It was the perfect example of what Gloria Dei youth do for VBS. They are right next to the children and cheering them on all week.
• 42 Adult Volunteers: The caliber of our adult volunteers is SO high! They went above and beyond in decorating, prepping their stations, teaching the children, and helping the youth volunteers engage with the children. They take a strong ownership of VBS and it shows in how great of a reputation our program has in the community.
• 8 Staff Members: It is so rare to have this many staff members involved in such big ways for VBS from making volunteer meals, name tags, taking pictures, giving tours, and cleaning up. Pastor Bradley was even the MC and Pastor Javen played Irving Carter in the skit.
As you can see, it is very evident how important Children’s Ministry is to the members and Staff of Gloria Dei. That is 238 people total directly involved in VBS! We are grateful for all the children, volunteers and everyone who donated items to make this week possible. What fun to see everyone come together for a week of learning, laughing, singing, and creating! Thank you!
– Kyrstin Schwartz