The Gloria Dei community gathers for special worship services on Ash Wednesday, every Wednesday evening during Lent, and during Holy Week. The schedule for this year’s Lent and Easter worship can be found on the Worship web page.
In addition to these worship services, Gloria Dei invites children and young families to Children’s Experiences crafted uniquely for them. The Children’s Experiences are 30 minutes in length, they are engaging and interactive, full of movement and song. Make it a family tradition to bring your toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary school children to these worship experiences! Doing this allows your little ones to grow up experiencing the important stories of Jesus’ life and death, and the rituals our faith community celebrates every year to strengthen and renew our faith.
Lent is the 40–day period of repentance and renewal preceding Easter. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends with the Easter service, March 6 – April 21, 2019. Lent is a special time for confession and prayer, a time to renew and strengthen our faith as we reflect on Jesus’ journey to the cross and victory over death.
Ash Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Children and families receive with ashes the sign of the cross on their foreheads and intentionally enter into Lent, the season of repentance and renewal.
- Children’s Ash Wednesday Experience, 5:00 pm. Children and families confess what they have done to hurt others, or what they have not done to help others. They ask for God’s forgiveness for not loving God with our whole heart, and not loving others as ourselves.
Holy Week, April 14 – April 21, 2019
Holy Week is the time we remember Jesus’ last week on earth, beginning with Jesus’ entry to Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and ending with Jesus’ resurrection on Easter. This is the heart of Lent, the time of Jesus’ movement to the cross where he showed his love is stronger than death. And finally after 40 days we rejoice in the glorious new dawn of Easter. Christ is risen! Christ is risen indeed! Alleluia!
Palm Sunday, April 14, 2019
On Palm Sunday we remember Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem, the city where 5 days later he was crucified. People lined the way, waving palm branches and shouting, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven!”
- Congregational Palm Sunday Procession in the Neighborhood, pick up from Sunday School at 10:10 am, returning by 10:45 to process directly into worship. Children and families are invited to join the entire congregation as we carry palms and signs to share the message of Jesus with our nearest neighbors. We process several blocks down Snelling Avenue proclaiming that the Kingdom of God is here, justice and mercy, peace and love really do win! This counter-cultural message brings hope and calls us to work for God’s will on earth as in heaven! Bring strollers for the youngest ones!
Maundy Thursday, April 18, 2019
On Maundy Thursday we remember Jesus’ last meal with his disciples. At this meal Jesus washed the feet of his dearest friends to show them that the life of his followers was one of humble service. Then he shared bread and wine, telling them this was his body and blood, given for forgiveness of sins.
- Children’s Maundy Thursday Experience, 5:00 pm. Children and families learn about Jesus’ foot washing and last meal, and participate in these sacred rituals.
Good Friday, April 19, 2019
On Good Friday we remember the day that Jesus was arrested, condemned to death, and died on the cross. We gather at the foot of the cross to wonder at the depth of Jesus’ love!
- Children’s Good Friday Experience, 5:00 pm. Children and families learn about Jesus’ last day on earth, how he loved his friends, and gave his life for us all. Children will learn the meaning of the cross in ways that are developmentally appropriate.
Holy Saturday. April 20, 2019
On Holy Saturday we remember the time that Jesus lay in the tomb, when his dearest friends thought Jesus was dead and all was lost. This is the time that all the earth waits breathlessly for God’s great surprise!
- Children’s Holy Saturday Experience, 5:00 pm in Room 100. Children and families gather to wake up the Alleluia and help get ready for the celebration of Easter the next morning or later that night at the vigil. We all participate in the excitement of this special night and prepare for the wonder of Easter morning!
- 5th and 6th Grade Youth Perform Bible Story Skit, 7:00 pm at Easter Vigil. GAPP youth write and perform a Bible story skit during the Easter Vigil. This is often a humorous, costumed telling of one of the great stories of the Old Testament.
Easter Day, April 21, 2019
On Easter Day we celebrate the risen Jesus! Christ is risen! Christ is risen indeed! Alleluia!
- Easter Morning Festival Worship, 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00 am. The entire congregation comes together to celebrate all the glory of Easter with flowers, trumpets, choir music, and lots of shouting to show the joy we feel in our hearts!