Advent invites us to mark the weeks as we move toward Christmas.
Each week, we encourage you to very briefly respond to a question that highlights what you see or experience as you anticipate the season of Christmas. A photo or picture, or a sentence or two will probably suffice. Send responses to anyone on staff, or through Facebook or our website. We’ll also post some of your responses in the display case near the back door. Secondly, we invite you to offer a prayer request for a place or situation to which we sense the need for God’s light to shine. We’ll incorporate themes gathered from your prayer requests in our Sunday worship.
Week 1 begins December 2:
- What gives you hope? (Send us a picture or a short description of something that gives you hope.)
- Prayer Focus: Where (places or situations) do you sense the need for hope? (Send your response here.)
Week 2 begins December 9: Where do you see or experience love? Where is love most needed?
Week 3 begins December 16: What fills you with joy? In what places or situations is joy most needed?
Week 4 begins December 23: What helps you find peace? Where is peace most needed in our world today?
Optional: write 2-5 sentences to explain your submission.
Optional: include your career or where you go to school. Kids can answer too!
Other ways to mark the season are described below.
- Link here to learn about our Sunday morning forum series on the ways Advent invites us to experience the spirituality of embodiment.
- Explore the spiritual gifts of waiting in our Advent spirituality workshop. My Soul Waits for Thee: Advent and the Gift of Waiting.
- Devotions and supplies to use at home are available in the walkway near the Gathering Place. We encourage you to pick up supplies that would help you mark the weeks as we move toward Christmas. Some are free, and many are offered for a small price to cover the costs.
- Receive Luther Seminary’s daily devotion through your email by clicking here. (If you don’t have access to a computer, a few paper copies are available at the supply table.)
- Another online resource that’s especially good for families with children can be found here: Storyboarding Advent Devotions.